BCU Bank Logo

Search www.bcu.com.au

Estate of the late memberships

Member information guide

When an individual passes away, their assets and liabilities are known as their estate. An estate might include property, valuables, real estate, cars, shares, investments, superannuation, and life insurance policies.

An Executor or Administrator is responsible for administering an estate and carrying out the final wishes of the deceased in accordance with their Last Will and Testament (Will). The Executor will be named in the deceased’s Will, or alternatively the Supreme Court may appoint Executor(s) or Administrator(s) by issuing a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration. If multiple Executors or Administrators are appointed, they must all sign together to operate the accounts.

What do I need to open a membership for an estate?

To set up a membership and accounts for an estate, you will need to provide original or original certified copies (including certification form) of the following documents:


Prepare your documents

An original or certified copy of the death certificate along with the relevant documents from the below list.


Attend a branch

All Executors or Administrators must attend a branch with the required documents and primary photo identification. Alternatively, you can post certified copies of the documentation to: PO Box 1563, Coffs Harbour, NSW 2450.


Complete a request form

Complete and sign a non-personal membership application form and finalise your membership.

Please find below a list of documents that may be required to finalise the estate. Understandably, you may not be able to access all of the below documents at once.

  • Death Certificate
  • Last Will and Testament
  • Grant of Probate may be required where the member has a Will and held more than our specified amount in deposit accounts at BCU Bank. For your information the executor(s) must apply for the Probate.
  • Letters of Administration may be required if there is no valid Will and the Member held more than our specified amount in deposit accounts. Generally, it is the deceased’s spouse or next of kin that will apply for Letters of Administration.
  • Identification documents (if you are not an existing account holder of BCU).
  • Written instructions from the executor(s)/administrator for the finalising of deposit accounts.
  • A Next of Kin Claim, if there is no valid Will and the member held less than our specified amount in deposit accounts.

We may be able to pay the outstanding funeral account, as evidenced by a tax invoice from the funeral home. If sufficient funds are available, BCU will debit funds from the estate and pay the invoice amount to the funeral home directly.

If you do not have any of the above documentation, please seek independent legal advice.

For more information get in touch with us in a way that suits you Contact us.